Now you can treat your patients with the familiar and long-trusted antibiotic mupirocin, a new brand available in a discreet topical cream formulation as STRAMUCIN®.
STRAMUCIN® has all the proven benefits and efficacy of mupirocin that you’ve come to rely upon, and is particularly active against Staphylococcus aureus, including methicillin-resistant strains. Mupirocin is identified by the WHO as an “Essential Anti-Infective” on its Model List of Essential Medicines.
STRAMUCIN®, as a cream, is easy to apply and spread over affected areas (3 times daily, for up to 10 days) and is available in convenient 15-gram or 30-gram tubes.
• Demonstrated efficacy against those micro-organisms, including methicillin-resistant strains, responsible for most skin infections
• Safe and effective for pediatric (>18 months) and geriatric patients
• No dosage adjustments necessary for adults, children, or elderly
• No dosage adjustments for patients with renal or hepatic impairment
• Side effects with STRAMUCIN® are generally mild; few people may experience some unwanted effects. They do not usually lead to discontinuation
• No cross-resistance with other antimicrobial drugs
The proven efficacy of mupirocin is now conveniently available as STRAMUCIN®
Contact email@example.com if you have any questions or would like additional information.
Indications and Clinical Use:
STRAMUCIN® (Mupirocin Cream USP 2% w/w as mupirocin calcium) is indicated topically for the treatment of secondarily infected traumatic lesions such as small lacerations, sutured wounds or abrasions. Mupirocin cream should be used only to treat infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
Pediatrics (18 months – 16 years of age): Health Canada has authorized an indication for pediatric use. Geriatrics (> 65 years of age): No overall difference in the efficacy or safety of mupirocin 2% cream was observed in this patient population.
STRAMUCIN® is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to mupirocin or any of its excipients.
Serious warnings and precautions:
STRAMUCIN® is not suitable for ophthalmic or intranasal use. Avoid contact with the eyes.
Other relevant warnings and precautions:
• Possible sensitization reaction or severe local irritation. Treatment should be discontinued, the product wiped off.
• Prolonged use may result in overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms.
• Possibility of pseudomenbranous colitis. Discontinue treatment immediately.
Safety during pregnancy has not been established. Weigh potential benefits against possible hazards to the fetus. Exercise caution in nursing mothers.
For more information:
Consult the Product Monograph at https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada.html for important information regarding adverse reactions, drug interactions and dosing information not discussed in this piece. The Product Monograph is also available by calling Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. 1-844-801-7468.
1. STRAMUCIN® Product Monograph. Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. November 21, 2018.
2. WHO Model List of Essential Medicines, 20th List. World Health Organization. March 2017 (Amended August 2017).
STRAMUCIN® and GLENMARK are trademarks of Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. and related companies. © Glenmark Canada Inc. 2022